Pages

Recipe Index

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Crostata Al'Arancia


For me, impatience is a mood.
Sometimes, I hit this beautiful, laid-back, patient mood where I could wait forever and not turn into a cranky ball of unpleasantness.  When that happens, anything I decide to cook is gold.  Recipes are followed to a tee, read with care, and made with love.  But that happens extremely rarely. Because my thoughts toward food are generally "get in mah belly!", the part where I have to wait for physics to happen and things to turn delicious is usually quite difficult for me.


So today, when boredom struck and my mind turned to images of buttery, crunchy-gooey crostata, I obviously did not want to wait the hour the recipe told me to refrigerate the dough before rolling it out and putting it in the pan.  So I didn't, and guess what, it turned out delicious anyway.

I made this with orange marmalade because the boyfriend gave me a ton of oranges from his orchard in Sicily and so after gorging myself on them I turned the rest into copious amounts of jam.  This crostata is the perfect outlet for jam or conserves of any kind, so feel free to mix up the filling however you like.
Adapted from La Cucina in Sette Volumi, Dolci e Gelati

Crostata al'Arancia
300 g flour
1 egg
150 g sugar
175 g butter
1 jar orange marmalade
In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, egg, and butter cut into small pieces.  You should probably use your hands to do this, making sure to incorporate the butter into the flour by squeezing it between your fingers.  Once the mixture has formed a dough, wrap it in plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator for about 1 hour.
Butter a pie dish and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Remove the dough from the refrigerator and cut off 1/3 of it, putting that third back in the refrigerator.  Sprinkle flour on the counter and roll out the dough to a thickness of about 1/4 inch, then line your pan with it.  Spread on the orange marmalade.
Take the remaining 1/3 of the dough out of the refrigerator and roll it out as you did for the other dough.  Cut it into thin strips and place them in a lattice on top of the marmalade filling.
Bake for 40 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment