Pages

Recipe Index

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Orecchiette with Cauliflower and Chickpeas


I'm back from college for fall break and it is so great to be back in a well-stocked kitchen.  Alright, my kitchen at college is not that bad, but I definitely haven't built up the base of pantry items that we have here at home.  This is entirely my fault, because every time I go to the grocery store full of resolve to buy the spices and jarred things that make dishes special, without fail I take a look at the prices and put them right back on the shelf. Ain't nobody got money for an $10 jar of salted flower buds.  I could buy 8 apples with that, have snacks for a week!  So when I came home to a fridge stocked with anchovies and capers, I knew I had to take advantage of it.  


We had some leftover boiled cauliflower in the fridge, so I put it to good use with half a can of chickpeas and a quick parsley sauce, had it with some pasta a voila', a quick, tasty meal came together in no time at all. Unfortunately I left my camera at college, so I had to make do with my cell phone camera.



Orecchiette with Cauliflower and Chickpeas

250 g orecchiette pasta
1 head cauliflower, chopped into florets
1 can chickpeas
for parsley sauce:
1 bunch parsley
1 tbsp capers
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 salted anchovies
4 hazelnuts (optional)
3-4 tbsp olive oil

Make the parsley sauce: in a food processor, combine all the sauce ingredients and blend until somewhat smooth, depending on your preferences.  I added the hazelnuts for extra texture.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and boil the cauliflower until tender.  Remove the cauliflower from the water but do not drain all the water out.  Bring water back to a boil and use it to cook the pasta.  While the pasta is cooking, oil a pan and sautee the cauliflower with the chickpeas until they develop a light brown sear.  Once the pasta is ready, drain and add to the pan with the cauliflower and top everything with the parsley sauce.  Mix everything together in the pan and serve dusted with some sharp salty cheese if you desire.
Makes 4 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment